Aug 21, 2008

A Blog Catalog Discussion Post

Stumble Upon Toolbar
Discussions
Discussions » General Discussion
crawler
What is the Ranking System at International Olympic Committee at Olympic Games?
Posted by crawler • 3 days ago • Subscribe to this Discussion [RSS] • Report This Topic
Tags: gold..., medals, olympics, rankings, spirit

IOC (International Olympic Committee ) says it does not recognise ranking by countries for any number of medals, Chinese official Olympic web site ranks countries both by total number of medals won and total no of Golds. Is it ok ? or Is it discrimination or what ? Check the facts at my blog. valleyz.blogspot.com


Reply
User Comments

1.
tpvswp
3 days ago
tpvswp
I read your post, but I'm not sure what your point is. Olympic medals have always been ranked by country during any Olympics as far as I remember (and I've been around for a while). Every country does that, not just the Chinese. Besides, your post seems to be comparing the Athens 2004 medals tally with the current Beijing 2008 tally.
[report] [reply]
2.
crawler
3 days ago
crawler
Thanks for the reply, IOC clearly says that it does not recognize 1,2,3 slots for countries ( I have made some observations at my post in my blog ), and it creates the medal table info only for information, so why the countries stick to the ranking system when IOC itself a body of all the countries says it does not.....in true spirit. I think the answer lies in IOC's stand that it does not recognize global ranking per country (Is this the Olympic Spirit ?)...then why this practice amidst us ?
[report] [reply]
3.
tpvswp
3 days ago
tpvswp
I see the point, since the Olympic spirit should be about "partaking in" more than "winning" the games, but I don't see anything wrong in country ranking. I don't feel that my country is "inferior" because we happen to be somewhat down the list.
[report] [reply]
4.
crawler
3 days ago
crawler
Yep, You got it right, I too don't have any reservations for this ranking system, but may be I feel somewhere some countries do bear this feeling, Olympics has always drew demonstrations if we looked at its History, due to various other reasons other than the sports. I think that's where IOC wants to steer clear of this Ranking System, which I feel is a good step in right direction. But what about the participating bodies ? Why aren't countries following IOC in upholding this spirit ? Doesn't it look like dissimilar practices.
[report] [reply]
5.
tpvswp
3 days ago
tpvswp
Although the medals are awarded to the athletes and not to the countries, the athletes are representing a country, so it's only natural to compare number of medals per country.
[report] [reply]
6.
crawler
3 days ago
crawler
No, I think the medals are awarded to the countries only athletes represent those countries, that's why its a huge honor for an athlete I think to win a medal for the country, every athlete's dream is to represent his country so I think ultimate credit goes to the country and it does not relate to any one with any different meaning.

If the tally table at the ongoing Olympics is to be seen, I think, here there are two leaders one who has got more more no of overall medals and the other one who has got more no of Golds, also there's a podium to for the top three countries to occupy the 1,2,3 on the top left corner of the site.
[report] [reply]
7.
crawler
2 days ago
crawler
Any more opinions ?
[report] [reply]
8.
crawler
2 days ago
crawler
So thats the end of this topic....


0 comments:

Post a Comment